James Lorimer (1818-1890)
- Filled the Regius Chair of the Law of Nature and Nations in 1862 after gap from 1831 (Grant, Story 317*)
- His class ‘being necessary for the LL.B degree, has been well attended ever since’ (Grant, Story 317*)
- ‘The first part of Lorimer’s course resulted in his Institutes of Natural Law in 1872. This reached a second edition in 1880 and was reprinted in Germany in 1987.’ (ODNB*)
Publications, Manuscripts and other Resources
- J Lorimer, The institutes of law: a treatise of the principles of jurisprudence as determined by nature (Edinburgh, 1872)
- J Lorimer, The Institutes of Law; a treatise of the principles of jurisprudence as determined by nature, 2nd edn (Edinburgh, 1880)
*For references, see the Site Bibliography.